Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Interview with Deb McEwan

Interview with
Deb McEwan

Questions: R. Murry
Hi Roy, thanks for interviewing me this week.

Can you tell me a little about yourself?
I grew up in the valleys of South Wales and joined the Army as a teenager. 34 years and many life experiences later, I’m about to leave and move to Cyprus with my husband, Allan.
I spend my free time writing, reading, playing sport and avoiding most forms of housework! I’m kind to most animals and fascinated by spiders. (Please keep reading, I’m not a weirdo)!

Do you remember the first story you wrote?
Not really. I started writing stories and verse when I was very young, this stopped for a while when I first joined the Army. I got back into writing about 10 years ago and started writing verse and lyrics, and co-wrote a number of songs. In 2010 I published a rhyming Christmas storybook entitled ‘Reindeer Dreams’. I’ve always wanted to write novels and love creating new worlds.

Were you inspired by someone or something?
I’m inspired by everything and anything, but the best ideas pop into my head when I’m out walking. I jot down a few notes when I get home and that’s how I start most of my stories.

What do you like about writing a story?
So many things! How long have you got?  It’s the sheer pleasure of creating a world where anything can happen.  It’s the way that characters seem to take on a life of their own and sometimes surprise me with their actions (sounds daft I know, but that’s the way it is.)  Very often the story is quite different to the one I set out to write. And it’s the satisfaction of holding the completed manuscript and thinking, ‘I did that!’

Can you tell us about your book?
Most of the story is told from the point of view of spiders from the planet Phoenix. They have a choice; be eaten by aliens or come to Earth and film a TV series about humans. After receiving training, the Terries send them to Earth and the spiders follow the lives of a family. They secretly record and analyze human mating rituals, various customs and habits and the vagaries of our waste disposal system, and try to discover whether leprechauns are real.

What genre best fits for the book?
Although as the title (An Alien’s Guide to the Human Species) suggests, it’s a family  humorous book.

Are you working on something new at the moment?
The sequel which is less humorous and more sinister – my dark book! The planet Largo is in danger of dying and 20 Terry families are sent to Earth to live amongst us. Only a small percentage of people are able to recognize Terries as different, and their Chief Scientist is very ambitious. She won’t allow anything or anyone get in her way.

Do you have any tips for aspiring writers?
Everyone has a book in them so the saying goes, but you have to write it. It can be hard work but also very rewarding. Allocate yourself writing time and switch off the internet and any other distractions and write. In fact, why not go and write 1000 words now and see how you get on?
Try and remember that most people need people, so make time for others.
My final tip is not to let self-doubt get in the way of your dreams.

Where can people go to read your work?
It’s available on Amazon in print or as an e-book at these links.     

No comments:

Post a Comment