Sunday, September 28, 2014

Lolita

Lolita

Reviewed by Author Roy Murry  


I have gone through middle age and can assure you that it will be a difficult time of your life. If you are like most people, you will be at the peak of your profession and sexuality active. What you do with it will define your future. 

In the brilliant novel Lolita, written by Vladimir Nabokov, a Russian transplant to the USA in 1941, this is an underlining theme. This novel was not published in the USA but France, because many found it obscene but intellectually stimulating for its narrative voice and technique.

Vladimir became a US citizen, wrote in and taught Russian language and literature before producing Lolita in 1955. His first writings were in Russian and he continued writing in English. See bio note below.

As a part of my course, I could pick a book that was not on my American Literature reading list in college. From the intro, you know I picked Lolita to review for grade. My professor agreed because she knew Vladimir and after all he did write the book in America.

The movie came out in 1962, staring James Mason, Shelly Winters and introducing Sue Lyon. Another version was made recently. I saw the first version while reading the book.

The acting was superb. Mason’s Humbert, the main character, resonates need for the nymphet Lolita. He marries her mother to get to her. Ms. Winter’s character dies, leaving Humbert with Lolita, his step-daughter/lover.

His lust turns into love and they consummate their relationship. Things turn when Lolita gets bored with Humbert. I’ll leave you there. I know I’m a tease.

I recommend you watch the movie and read the book for an entertaining long weekend or for a vocational interlude with mind stimulation.

Related:



No comments:

Post a Comment