Friday, October 10, 2014

Henry David Thoreau

1967 Stamp


Henry David Thoreau

Was another of The American Transcendentalist, who help set the foundation of American Literature, a course I took in college.

Mr. Thoreau is best known for Walden, but he was so much more. He was an author, a poet, a philosopher…If you want to learn the philosophy of Simplicity, get a copy of Walden, Civil Disobedience, and Walking for free or near free:  http://amzn.to/1thKaSS

I’m from Massachusetts, been to Walden Pond, and went to college not far from it, so I can say that I have knowledge that most don’t have about Henry David. He was a pain in the ass and wouldn’t conform to society.

This, for me, is a good thing. I’m certain that Mahatma Gandhi read Thoreau’s Civil Disobedience, as I have. We are both for the better for reading it. Fortunately or unfortunately for me, I read after fighting in the Vietnam War. That war meant different to me after reading his works.

If you want an alternative to what you have been taught, read one of Henry David Thoreau’s essays or books.


No comments:

Post a Comment