Thursday, April 15, 2021

Review of Harvey Penick's Little Red Book of Golf

 


'GOLF' HARVEY PENICK'S

     LITTLE RED BOOK


HARVEY PENICK & 

BUD SHRAKER

 

Review by Author Roy Murry

 

I found this little jewel of lessons and teachings from Mr. Penick's lifetime in golf by accident. I have been playing golf since I was fourteen and never heard of Harvey.

If you lived in Texas in the 1970s, '80s, and '90s and heard of Davis Love III, Tom Kite, Byron Nelson, Kathy Whitworth, and many others you may have known about Harvey, their instructor.  I had not because I was living, working, and playing golf in the Caribbean during that time with little access to the USA's TV channels.

At the beginning of this book, the above professional golf champions introduce Harvey to the reader. I was surprised that I had not heard of him, and if you're a golfer of that era, you may also have not.

Bud Shrake, an American journalist, sportswriter, and novelist helped Harvey write the rest of this book of golfing advice. I had some of Harvey's lessons in my brain because I was on my high school's golf team.

Our coach was a part-time professional in the '60s. So I knew how to approach the ball, perform my waggle, and hit the ball straight. If you do not know why a 'waggle' is needed, you need this book.

Harvey's advice is extensive; a beginner, a weekend player, or an active golfer should read the book from cover to cover. Two of my playing partners are using Harvey's nuggets of knowledge, and you should use them also.

 

Purchase: https://amzn.to/3tmuYoD

No comments:

Post a Comment