Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Interview: Mary Hart Perry



Interview with

Author Mary Hart Perry 


Questions by R. Murry
      
Can you tell me a little about yourself?

Hi, Mary Hart Perry here. Well, I live in the Washington, DC area and teach at The Writer's Center when I'm not working on my own novels. My husband and I love to sail, travel, garden...and we have two cats who are my writing partners.

Do you remember the first story you wrote?

The first story I wrote was for young readers, about a little boy who lost his lunchbox on his way to school. It was a simple mystery with a happy ending--he uses his head to figure out what happened to it. Highlights for Children bought it for $35.00 and I was thrilled. LOL!

Were you inspired by someone or something?

Absolutely, I loved Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories, and picked up the mystery writing bug from him. I also read a lot of historical adventures; Kenneth Roberts was my favorite.

What do you like about writing a story?

I love the idea of being able to escape to another time and place. That's what happens when you read. But it's even truer when you write your own stories.

Can you tell us about your book?

SEDUCING THE PRINCESS is set mostly in England during the 19th century. The heroine is Princess Beatrice, Queen Victoria's youngest daughter, who is being wooed by two very different men - one with the best intentions, the other with the very worst. There is lots of atmosphere and historical details, but fast-paced too.

What genre best fits for the book?

The novel is a romantic historical thriller.

Are you working on something new at the moment?

Yes. Seducing is the second book of a series. So I'm working on the third, which will feature the Crown Princess who confronts one of the most famous serial killers in history.

Do you have any tips for aspiring writers?

Write every day. Seriously, that's the one thing that will help your stable of skills strengthen. If you only write when you feel like it or occasionally, it's hard to make progress.

Where can people go to read your work?

My books are available from all of the major online booksellers include Barnes & Noble and Amazon, and for all reading devices. The Wild Princess is also in paperback, and soon Seducing will also be in print.

Do you have anything to add?

Thanks for the chat! I enjoy getting a chance to talk with readers as well as other writers. Feel free to follow me on any social network. Best wishes, Mary Hart Perry

FB:  on.fb.me/Kj7hzU  
https://twitter.com/Mary_Hart_Perry

2 comments:

  1. Your book sounds so interesting! I love historical thrillers!!! Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Roy, for the lovely blog! And Cindy, it's a fun read but it was probably even more fun to write...and research. Do I hear a trip to London calling again? If you get a chance to reach Seducing the Princess, or the book in the series before it, The Wild Princess, I hope you enjoy them. Hugs, Mary Hart Perry (aka Kathryn Johnson)

    ReplyDelete