Thursday, April 18, 2013

Interview with Stephen Jennison - Smith


Interview with Stephen
Jennison-Smith,
Author of The 24

Questions by R. Murry

Can you tell me a little about yourself?

I started writing while I was training for work, The Battle of the Dragons. I have since looked at it and it now needs a lot of work before it can be published, my writing has improved that much. The next book was called The Coughing Pole which is now published under the title of The Crying Pennant. I wrote those 16 years ago. Now I have written 14 books and 15 short stories. I try to write about 500 words a day, except Sunday, unless I am drawing or sculpting.

Do you remember the first story you wrote?

I started to write a science fiction story when I was in Secondary School. One of the phrases I remember using was 'Until the star looked like a pin prick in a tea bag.'

Were you inspired by someone or something?

I suppose you could say my brother-in-law, for his code of honour is never to hit somebody until they have hit him. In the same way Kendra does not like to kill anyone until they have engaged him in battle.

What do you like about writing a story?

I’m finishing it. This is the hardest part, to tie everything up, to get to the word count. If I am writing a funny story then as long as I come up with a couple of jokes a day then I'm happy.

Can you tell us about your book?

The 24 is the second in the Kendra series. The first book was an introduction to him. This book takes him and his son on an adventure to destroy an army of 1,000 giants. Along the way they meet Semites who they help to train to be giant killers.

How did you come up with the story?

It is the sequel to Kendra and I had always planned to turn it into a series. The story developed as I put it on Wattpad but I was unable to complete it until recently because I had to finish writing the last book in the Arth Series. I did think about the episodic nature of 'Hawk the Slayer' and also 'The Magnificent Seven' and so tried to make sure mine, though being influenced by them, did not follow them completely.

What genre best fits for the book?

Action/adventure/fantasy.

Are you working on something new at the moment?

I am planning the third book in the Kendra series called 'Kendra and the Wolf-Master' and am writing a piece of flash fiction called 'Serasel the Smith' where Kendra is taken to a different plane of existence to receive his sword.

Do you have any tips for aspiring writers?

The best advice is to read the classics, look at how other authors construct sentences. Also keep writing.

Which authors inspire you?

I have read ‘Lord of the Rings’ and ‘All Quiet on the Western Front’ as well as Asimov, Michael Moorcock, C.S.Lewis and Alan Moore graphic novels. I am also inspired by film and TV.

Where can people go to read your work?

Amazon at  http://tinyurl.com/StephenJennison-Smith
or samples and some shorter finished work on Wattpad  http://www.wattpad.com/user/StephenJennisonSmith
Smashwords  http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/SJennisonSmith

Where can people find you on the internet?

http://stephenjennisonsmith.blogspot.com/

Is there anything else you would like to share with your readers?

To thank my ardent fans for their continued following and the support of 
Author Roy Murry.



No comments:

Post a Comment