Sunday, January 29, 2023

Review of LITERATURE and the CULTURE WARS




LITERATURE and the NEW CULTURE WARS


DEBORAH APPLEMAN


Review by Roy Murry, Author


I do not have a Ph.D., nor am I a teacher of Literature. However, I did have the opportunity in college to take two courses in American Literature which I excelled, and I have read thousands of books, novels, and papers.

In reviewing Ms. Appleman's dissertation on teaching American and English Literature, one does not need to have Critical Race Theory as part of the syllabist. However, she believes the professor must not cater to the whims of the students, faculty, and an uncultured society.

CTR is not Literature. It's seventy-five percent history and twenty-five percent propaganda - not a text to evaluate icons like Mark Twain, Hemingway, Shakespeare, or Toni Morrison. I agree with L.P. Hartley: "The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there."

If you have an Inquisitive Mind, as I do, you will purchase this book. Beforehand, this is written for the literature teacher and is detailed in jargon. 

Purchase: https://amzn.to/3Hia2XP

 

No comments:

Post a Comment